Wednesday 26 February 2014

Caesar Salad or "Hayley" Salad? :D

It was a beautiful Sunday morning last week and I suddenly woke up craving for Caesar salad. I remember my colleague once asked me why it's called Caesar Salad, so I did a little bit google about it. The salad's creation is generally from an Italian immigrant who operates a restaurant in Mexico and the United States and his name is Caesar Cardini. He invented this salad during a day when he's kitchen is running out of food resources. So, he made do with what he had adding the dramatic flair of the table-side tossing "by the chef".  But a number of Cardini's staff have said that they invented the dish. And do you know that, original Caesar salad doesn't come along with anchovies? It only contains whole lettuce leaves, which were meant to be lifted by the stem and eaten with the fingers; coddled eggs; and Italian olive oil.

I only came across to know I'm doing the same thing as Caesar did, put in all the ingredient I have left in my kitchen...hehe, and it is so delicious! So here's a picture of the ingredient I had in my Caesar salad.


Bread, Chesdale cheese, lettuce, green cauliflower, apple, an egg and margarine and yes, 'taiwanese' sausage :) which I later found out it's in the fridge so that's why I forgot to take a picture for that.

#1: Rub the margarine on both side of the bread and put the cheese on the bread.
2: Pan fried until it's golden crispy
#3: Cut the bread into cubes
#4: Cut the apple into cubes, wash the lettuce and rinse aside, boiled the egg & cut it into half, steam the taiwan sausage and then cut into slice and pan fried it until it's half crispy, boiled the green cauliflower and cut into pieces.
#5: Pour in all the prepared ingredients into the salad bowl.
#6: Finally, add in the 'Thousand Island' sauce & toss before you serve ;-)



Ok, don't comment and say this is not a tradition Caesar Salad, it's not! It's my own Caesar Salad or perhaps I should call it "Hayley Salad"*LOL*! I feel like eating it that day but I do not want to spend money on it so I custom made it myself with what I have in my kitchen, having Caesar Salad outside a restaurant is very expensive, it's around RM20+ for a Caesar salad which I think it's not really worth it.

So here you go, custom made your own too, you can replace that taiwanese sausage which bacon if you have it or try with different kind of sauce or you can follow the Caesar's one, tradition with half boiled egg and olive oil! Have fun! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment